It appears that your browser does not support JavaScript

Are Daffodils Poisonous?

Are Daffodils Poisonous?

ANSWER:

Daffodils ARE poisonous.

Daffodils are poisonous in that they can cause illness when ingested, but rarely do they cause fatalities.

Poisonous Parts of the Daffodil

Daffodils contain phenanthridine alkaloids and calcium oxalate crystals that are found throughout the plant including the leaves, roots, stems, flowers, and sap. These are poisonous if ingested. The highest concentration of these poisonous alkaloids is found in the bulbs.

Symptoms of Daffodil Poison

Daffodils can cause contact dermatitis as well as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and dizziness. If enough is ingested, it can be fatal. For example, according to the Nova Scotia Museum, starving cattle that were fed daffodil bulbs during World War II were fatally poisoned.

Resources

North Carolina Cooperative Extension: Home”Poisonous Plants of North Carolina – Narcissus spp”http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/poison/Narcisp.htm

Novia Scotia Museum”Poisonous Plant Patch: Daffodil”museum.gov.ns.ca/poison/?section=species&id=100

Washington State University”Baffling Daffs”https://sharepoint.cahnrs.wsu.edu/blogs/urbanhort/archive/2010/03/16/fun_with_alkaloids.aspx

Copyright 2009-2016

Sophisticated Media LLC

Terms of Service l Privacy Policy

Contact Us