Some frogs ARE poisonous to dogs.
Dogs are curious creatures that often attempt to catch bugs and frogs in their mouths. While most frogs are not dangerous, some are actually poisonous to dogs and cause illness to occur.
A variety of frogs are mildly toxic to dogs but the Bufo toad is the most poisonous to dogs. The most venomous Bufo toads are found in Hawaii and Florida but milder species can be seen in other areas of the United States.
Bufo toads excrete toxins through their skin, which can cause serious symptoms of poisoning. While lethal doses are usually seen when dogs eat these toads, poisoning can occur when this toxin is absorbed through broken skin or wounds.
If your dog has been exposed to the Bufo toad, you may notice symptoms such as reddening of the mucous membranes, excessive drooling, head shaking, vomiting and scratching at the mouth. In serious cases, dogs exposed to the Bufo toad may develop seizures, blindness, and eventual death.
Dogs that have been exposed to poisonous toads should be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. The veterinarian may flush out the dog’s mouth with water, administer activated charcoal, and monitor heart rhythm. Early intervention is an essential part of the dog’s recovery.
“First Aid for Toad Poisoning in Pets.” Pet Health Care | Dog and Cat Behavior Information by Veterinarians. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Nov. 2012. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+1411&aid=2394
“Marine Toads.” University of Florida. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Nov. 2012. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/UW/UW04600.pdf