It appears that your browser does not support JavaScript

How Long Do Kidney Stones Take to Pass?

How Long Do Kidney Stones Take to Pass?


The average kidney stone will take 1-3 days to pass.

More info: In the case of kidney stone, size does matter.  A larger stone will take longer to pass than a smaller stone. The good news is that 85% of kidney stones are small enough to pass on their own.  Of the remaining 15% that does not pass on their own, some may be broken up into smaller pieces using shock waves that can pass on their own.

The Length of Time to Pass a Kidney Stone is Not Exact

There are many factors that come into play with a kidney stone. How long a kidney stone takes to pass through the urinary tract depends on these factors. For example, a smaller stone may take less time to pass than a larger stone.

Average Length of Time for a Kidney Stone to Pass

A kidney stone may pass in several hours, or it may take as long as a few weeks. Most people will find that their kidney stone passes within one to three days. Most stones that can pass without surgery will do so within a month. In rare situations, a kidney stone may take more than a month to pass, but the patient should not be in pain the entire time.

What to Do When a Kidney Stone Doesn’t Pass

If your kidney stone does not pass through your urinary tract within a few days, then you should make an appointment with your doctor. He can run a series of tests to make sure that the stone is not too big to pass. You may be asked to come back every few days or once a week for more x-rays until the stone passes. If the kidney stone does not pass on its own or your doctor decides that it is too large, then you may have to have surgery or some other procedure to have it removed.



“Kidney Stones.” Columbia University Medical Center. N.p., n.d. Web. 8 Aug. 2012. <>.

“Kidney stones – Treatment.” University of Maryland Medical Center | Home. N.p., n.d. Web. 9 Aug. 2012.

“Kidney Stones.” Upstate Medical University. N.p., n.d. Web. 8 Aug. 2012.





Copyright 2009-2016

Sophisticated Media LLC

Terms of Service l Privacy Policy

Contact Us