If you want to create an accent wall that will give depth and texture to your room, then faux stone is an excellent interior design choice. Just follow these steps to a realistic and multilayered masterpiece.
Step 1 – Supplies Checklist
- Drywall Compound
- Latex-based paint
- Two or three Faux Stone Glazes
- Paint brushes
- Painter’s tape
- Drop cloths
- Flat trowel
- Foam brush
Step 2 – Prepping the Area You Want to Paint
- Make sure you have removed any light fixtures, wall lamps, or other things that are hanging or have been screwed into your wall.
- Tape around the border of your area, being careful not to tape over areas that you will be painting.
- Lay your drop cloths and remove all the furniture from the room. If you can’t do that, then just push it far out of the way of the wall.
Step 3 – Applying Wall Compound
- Apply the wall compound to the wall in a layer that is about ¼ in. thick. You don’t need to worry about smoothing any of it out, as you will texture it later.
Step 4 – Texturing
- To add the stone texture, place the trowel flat against the wall compound and pull away, then lightly smooth over the peaks and repeat until the entire wall is textured.
- Allow the compound to dry for 24-48 hours.
Step 5 -Painting
- Apply the base coat to the wall and let it dry completely before moving on.
- If you want the real look of stones and not just a stone texture, then tape the joints with ½ in. thick painter’s tape.
Step 6 – Glazing
- If you simply want the texture of stone, just liberally apply a single color of glaze with either a cloth or a sponge. Immediately wipe off the excess glaze and let the rest of it settle into the compound.
- If you want the look of actual stone, then work one stone at a time and apply the darker glaze first, followed by the lighter colors. Not only does this give the wall a stone look, it also provides ample depth.
- Remove the tape, and work the lightest glaze over the joints your painter’s tape created.
DIY Network. How to Create Faux Stone Walls.http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-create-faux-stone-walls/index.html. 2010.
Do It Yourself. How to Paint a Faux Stone Wall: Ideas and Instructions. http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-paint-a-faux-stone-wall–ideas-and-instructions.