Dogs love to play and run outside. Sometimes this leads to man’s best friend getting a little dirty. As a favored place to rest and sleep, the dog’s bed may need cleaning from time to time. It is important to know how to wash a dog bed the right way.
- Removing excess hair before washing will help make the bed cleaner and avoid clogging up the washing machine. Vacuum the bed to remove any loose hair, debris, or dirt. Once the majority of hair is removed, use a lint brush to remove any smaller hairs or debris.
- Check and make sure that the dog bed is machine washable. There should be a tag on the bed that states if the bed is machine washable. If it is, check to see if there is a removable cover on the bed.
- If there are large or prominent stains, hand treat them with a pet safe stain remover before placing the bed or cover in the washing machine. If there are urine stains or a strong urine smell, consider soaking the bedding in apple cider vinegar for an hour before washing. Apple cider vinegar works well in removing the scent of such smells, but be sure to use a scented laundry detergent afterwards.
- After pre-treating any stains, place the bed and cover in the washing machine with a pet safe laundry detergent. Wash the bed and cover in cold water on a gentle cycle. If the dog bed has a cover, it can be washed more often than the bed itself.
- If the bed and cover are not machine washable, fill a bathtub with cold water and add a pet safe laundry detergent. Before placing the bed in the bathtub, make sure the detergent is well incorporated in to the water. Wash the bed and cover by hand. Make sure to thoroughly rinse all detergent out of the cover and bed.
- Once the dog bed and cover are clean, place them in the dryer on a low heat setting for 20 minutes. Add a pet safe dryer sheet. This will cut down on static cling and remove any additional pet hairs. To avoid shrinking the bed, remove the bed and allow it to air dry after the 20 minutes. Make sure the bed is completely dry before returning it to the dog’s favorite place.