Last Updated: February 17, 2010
Sophisticatededge.com (the "Website") is operated by Sophisticated Media LLC ("Sophisticated Edge" or "we").
INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
In General. If you use Sophisticatededge.com or contact us we may collect personal information that can identify you such as your name and email address, and other information that does not identify you. When you provide personal information through the Website, the information may be sent to servers located in the United States and other countries around the world.
- Information from other sources. We may also periodically obtain both personal and non-personal information about you from other Sophisticated Media LLC businesses, business partners, contractors and other third parties and add it to our account information or other information we have collected. Examples of information that we may receive include: updated delivery and address information, purchase history, and additional demographic information.
- Information collected automatically. We automatically collect information from your browser when you visit our Website. This information includes your IP address, your browser type and language, access times, the content of any undeleted cookies that your browser previously accepted from us (see "Cookies" below), and the referring website address.
- Cookies. When you visit our Website, we may assign your computer one or more cookies to facilitate access to our Website and to personalize your online experience. Through the use of a cookie, we also may automatically collect information about your online activity on our Website, such as the web pages you visit, the links you click, and the searches you conduct on our Website. Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies. If you choose to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in or use certain of the features offered on our Website.
Information collected by third-parties. We may allow third-parties, including our authorized service providers, Sophisticated Media LLC companies, advertising companies, and ad networks, to display advertisements or provide applications and services on the Website. These companies may use tracking technologies, such as cookies or web beacons, to collect information about users who view or interact with their advertisements or use their applications and services. Except as set forth herein, we do not provide any personal information to these third parties. This information allows them to deliver targeted advertisements and personalized online experiences, and gauge their effectiveness. Some of these third-party advertising companies may be advertising networks that are members of the Network Advertising Initiative, which offers a single location to opt out of ad targeting from member companies (http://www.networkadvertising.org/).
HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
In General. We may use information that we collect about you to:
- deliver or provide the products and services that you have requested, which may be done by us directly, or by a third party service partner/provider;
- manage your account and provide you with customer support;
- perform research and analysis about your use of, or interest in, our products, services, or content, or products, services or content offered by others;
- communicate with you via e-mail, mail and/or mobile device about products or services that may be of interest to you either from us, or other third parties;
- develop and display content and advertising tailored to your interests on our Website and other sites;
- verify your eligibility and deliver prizes in connection with contests and sweepstakes;
- enforce our Terms of Service;
- manage our business, including estimating and reporting our total audience size and traffic; and
- perform functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection.
WITH WHOM WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
We want you to understand when and with whom we may share personal or other information we have collected about you or your activities on our Website or while using our services.
Personal information. We do not share your personal information with others except as indicated below or when we inform you and give you an opportunity to opt out of having your personal information shared. We may share personal information with:
- Authorized service providers: We may share your personal information with our authorized third party service providers that perform certain services on our behalf. These services may include fulfilling orders, processing credit card payments, processing payments for writers, delivering packages, providing customer service and marketing assistance, providing users with email addresses and email service, performing business and sales analysis, supporting our Website functionality, and supporting contests, sweepstakes, surveys, and other features offered through our Website. These service providers may have access to personal information needed to perform their functions but are not permitted to share or use such information (except, possibly, on an aggregated, non-personally identifiable basis), for any other purposes.
- Other Sophisticated Media LLC businesses. We may share information we collect, including personal information, with other Sophisticated Media LLC companies. Sharing information with our Sophisticated Media LLC companies enables us to provide you with information about a variety of products and services that might interest you. All Sophisticated Media LLC companies comply with privacy policies available at each company's site. Sophisticated Media LLC companies also will comply with applicable privacy and security laws and, at a minimum, in any commercial e-mail they send to you, will give you the opportunity to choose not to receive such e-mail messages in the future.
- Other Situations. We also may disclose your information:
o When we believe disclosure is appropriate in connection with efforts to investigate, prevent, or take other action regarding illegal activity, suspected fraud or other wrongdoing; to protect and defend the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, our employees, or others; to comply with applicable law or cooperate with law enforcement; or to enforce our Website terms and conditions or other agreements or policies.
o In connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of our business, a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
Aggregated and Non-Personal Information. We may share aggregated and non-personal information we collect under any of the above circumstances. We may also share it with third parties and Sophisticated Media LLC companies to develop and deliver targeted advertising on our websites and on websites of third parties. We may combine non-personal information we collect with additional non-personal information collected from other sources. We also may share aggregated information with third parties, including advisors, advertisers and investors, for the purpose of conducting general business analysis. For example, we may tell our advertisers the number of visitors to our Website and the most popular features or services accessed. This information does not contain any personal information and may be used to develop website content and services that we hope you and other users will find of interest and to target content and advertising.
YOUR CHOICES ABOUT COLLECTION AND USE OF YOUR INFORMATION
You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but that may result in your inability to use or access certain features of our Website, including posting comments on articles.
If you opt into the newsletter, you may receive e-mails from us from time to time. At any time you can choose to no longer receive commercial emails from us by unsubscribing or contacting us directly. You also will be given the opportunity, in any commercial e-mail that we send to you, to opt out of receiving such messages in the future. It may take up to 10 days for us to process an opt-out request. Please note that opting out of receipt of promotional email communications will only affect future activities or communications from us. If we have already provided your information to a third party (such as an event provider) before you have changed your preferences or updated your information, you may have to change you preferences directly with that third party.
If you are engaged as a business provider for us, such as a freelance writer, Sophisticated Media LLC reserves the right to contact you regarding your account and your submissions. You may opt out of receiving such communications by emailing us directly, but such action will remove you from receiving any further business transactions.
HOW WE PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We take appropriate security measures (including physical, electronic and procedural measures) to help safeguard your personal information from unauthorized access and disclosure. For example, only authorized employees are permitted to access personal information, and they may do so only for permitted business functions.
We want you to feel confident using our Website. However, no system can be completely secure. Therefore, although we take steps to secure your information, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information, searches, or other communications will always remain secure. Users should also take care with how they handle and disclose their personal information and should avoid sending personal information through insecure email. Please refer to the Federal Trade Commission's website at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/menus/consumer/data.shtm for information about how to protect yourself against identity theft.
POSTINGS AND CHAT ROOMS
Our Website is a general audience site, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13.
VISITING OUR WEBSITE FROM OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES
NO RIGHTS OF THIRD PARTIES
If you are a resident of California, in addition to the rights set forth above, you have the right to request information from us regarding the manner in which we share certain categories of personal information with third parties and the Sophisticated Media LLC companies for their direct marketing purposes. California law gives you the right to send us a request at a designated address to receive the following information:
1. the categories of information we disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year;
2. the names and addresses of the third parties that received that information; and
3. if the nature of the third party's business cannot be determined from their name, examples of the products or services marketed.
We may provide this information in a standardized format that is not specific to you. The designated email address for these requests is legal@Sophisticatededge.com.
HOW TO CONTACT US