Symptoms of a Vitamin C Overdose
While the common cold is inherently associated with the need for a metered intake of Vitamin C tablets or laced liquids, various other more serious medical conditions can lead to a higher daily requirement of ascorbic acid. Life-threatening ailments such as AIDS and cancer as well as stomach ulcers, tuberculosis, and intestinal diseases are all examples where more Vitamin C may be prescribed.
The good news is that an overdose of Vitamin C is very unlikely in itself to cause life-threatening complications. More likely these days is that someone who takes a substantial dose of ascorbic acid may find it reacts poorly with another drug or medication they are using. Circumstances vary from individual to individual, but among the potential troublesome combinations are nicotine patches, antacids that contain aluminum, birth control pills, and various antibiotics.
During pregnancy, some moms-to-be take an additional amount of Vitamin C and other vitamins to boost breast milk production. An overdose of ascorbic acid in these situations would be doubly damaging, and must be avoided at all costs. Vitamin C in large quantities at all times can also be harmful to the human kidneys, especially, again, when combined with other medications that may have a negative impact on the crucial filtering organs.
The most active discussion of Vitamin C overdose takes place in the bodybuilding world. Via a myriad of websites dedicated to the fast-growing sport, caution is recommended when relying on a daily strengthening regimen that includes ascorbic acid pills.
For those exceeding the daily recommended allowance of 60 milligrams of Vitamin C, anything up to 1500 milligrams is considered safe. By contrast, bodybuilders sometimes look to a daily intake of between 1500 and 5000 milligrams. A caveat typically mentioned by bodybuilding gurus and advisers is that because Vitamin C is water soluble, an overdose can be naturally flushed out by the human body.