Treating Mosquito Bites
The most important measure in treating mosquito bites is easing the urge to itch. Scratching at a mosquito bite can lead to infection. Here are some tips to ease skin itching:
- Apply a soothing cream such as calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream.
- Take an over-the-counter antihistamine such as an antihistamine like Benadryl an oral allergy product like Tylenol Severe Allergy.
- Take a lukewarm oatmeal bath.
- Wear cool, light clothing. Avoid fabrics like wool that will chafe the area and cause it to itch more.
- Try applying a cool compress to area like a freezer bag filled with ice or a bag of frozen vegetables.
Tips for Using Mosquito Repellent
Only use repellent when necessary. Opt for long sleeves and pants when weather permits. Use just enough repellent to cover exposed areas of the skin. You don't need to put repellent on skin under clothing. Never apply repellent to open cuts or scrapes. Once you are back inside, wash the product off your skin.