Waxing versus shaving is a debate that comes up every year for millions of people. There’s a wide variety of reasons to remove hair from one’s body, and many people are limited to either waxing or shaving it off. So what are the pros and cons of each?
Pros and Cons of Waxing
The Pros of Waxing:
- More effective and lasts longer
2. Less likely to cause ingrown hairs
3. Leaves a smooth rather than stubbly surface
4. Less likely to cause cuts and scrapes
5. Can be used in areas where a razor can’t be used
6. Can remove hair faster than a razor can
7. Hair grows back finer and softer
The Cons of Waxing:
- More expensive upfront (one time cost versus spread out over time cost)
2. Usually is more painful
3. Requires someone else’s assistance, preferably a licensed esthetician
4. Can possibly cause redness, tenderness, and red or white bumps
5. Must stay out of the sun for at least 24 hours after waxing
6. Can cause scarring, hyperpigmentation, burns, abrasions, or bruising.
7. Increases susceptibility to skin infections (especially Staph), cellulitis, folliculitis and sun burns
8. People using retinoid medications , or who has diabetes, chronic kidney or liver diseases, eczema, psoriasis, or weakened immune systems can’t use waxing safely
9. Anti-biotic and anti-inflammatory creams needs to be applied in order to avoid infections
10. The U.S. Health Department received 4,964 complaints regarding cosmetologists and waxing performances in 2009.
Pros and Cons of Shaving
The Pros of Shaving:
- Less expensive upfront (when added up over time, it may prove to be more expensive)
2. Usually less painful
3. May not need as much assistance from anyone else
4. Doesn’t require any special training
5. Hair grows back faster, in case the person changes mind
The Cons of Shaving:
- Expense can add up if replenishing razors, razor blades, and shaving creams repeatedly
2. Can be much messier to clean up
3. Can cause more ingrown hairs
4. Has higher probability of sustaining cuts and scrapes
5. The Consumer Product Safety Commission’s National Electronic Injury Surveillance System On-line estimated that 1,450 people were treated at hospitals for injuries due to razors and shaving in 2008.
“Brazilian Bikini Wax, Brazilian Bikini Waxing, Bikini Wax, Bikini Waxing-My waxing.com.” Brazilian waxing, Brazilian Wax, Brazilian Bikini Wax, Brazilian wax Information-Mywaxing.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Apr. 2010. http://www.mywaxing.com/brazilian-hair-removal.php.
“Hair Removal – Laser and Permanent Hair Removal Treatments.” Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery Information – Locate a Plastic Surgeon Online. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Apr. 2010. http://www.onlinesurgery.com/plasticsurgery/hair-removal.asp.
“Ow! Beware of bikini wax mishaps – Women’s health- msnbc.com.” Breaking News, Weather, Business, Health, Entertainment, Sports, Politics, Travel, Science, Technology, Local, US & World News- msnbc.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Apr. 2010. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31144530/ns/health-womens_health/#hybrid_video.
“Waxing high and low.” Arizona Local News – Phoenix Arizona News – Breaking News – azcentral.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Apr. 2010. http://www.azcentral.com/style/articles/0525waxing.html?&wired.
“Woman Gets $15K In Botched Bikini Wax – Orlando News Story – WKMG Orlando.” Click Orlando l Orlando News, Central Florida News, Weather, Sports l WKMG Local 6. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Apr. 2010. http://www.clickorlando.com/news/22523558/detail.html.