A wasp sting is a painful, red, inflamed section of skin at the sting site. Upon close inspection, you may be able to discern a tiny puncture wound at the center of the inflammation.
More Info: The localized reaction that occurs when the skin is pierced by a bee stinger is the body’s autoimmune response to the antigens that the wasp injects in its venom.
Most people will only experience a mild localized reaction to bee venom, which includes pain and swelling similar in appearance to a variety of insect bites such as a mosquito but possibly larger in surface area. In cases of a mild allergic reaction, it can sometimes include itchiness and hives.
For those who are allergic or those who have been stung previously and developed a hypersensitivity to the bee venom, the reaction can progress to symptoms that include dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
If the victim is highly allergic or has been stung in the mouth or nose, an anaphylactic reaction could occur which requires immediate emergency attention. The reaction includes obstruction of the airways, wheezing, difficulty breathing and could result in anaphylactic shock or even death.
Conrad Stoppler MD, Melissa. “Bee Sting Treatment.” Medicinenet.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 25 Oct. 2010. www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=62369.
Mealie, MD, FACEP, FAAEM, Carl A . “Wasp Stings.” eMedicine. WebMD, 17 June 2009. Web. 25 Oct. 2010. <emedicine.medscape.com/article/169324-overview>.