What Happens If you Get Bit by a Snake?
Venomous snakebites are a serious matter. Each year there are more than 8000 venomous snakebites reported in the U.S. which have the potential to be fatal if not treated quickly. Fortunately, with today's medical advances, there have been fewer than 12 deaths annually due to snakebites.
Even if you are not experiencing any symptoms of a venomous snakebite, it is important that you seek immediate medical attention. Not all victims develop the same symptoms and even though the symptoms may seem mild, a poisonous snakebite has the potential to be fatal. As an example, symptoms of the coral snake bite can take hours to begin to develop and left untreated can result in death.
Venomous Snakes US
Venomous snakes in the US include rattlesnakes, cottonmouths (water moccasins), coral snake, and copperheads.
Most snakebite symptoms include:
- Breathing difficulty
- Low blood pressure
- Nausea and vomiting
- Pain at site of bite
- Skin color changes
- Tissue damage
- Weak pulse
Further snake specific symptoms:
Coral Snake: Blurred vision, convulsions, drowsiness, eyelid drooping, headache, mouth watering, pain and swelling at site of bite, paralysis, shock, slurred speech, swallowing difficulty, swelling of tongue and throat, and stomach or abdominal pain.
Copperhead Snake: Shock, thirst, tingling, tiredness
Cottonmouth Snake: Shock, thirst, tingling, tiredness
Rattlesnake: Blurred vision, eyelid drooping, paralysis, rapid pulse, tingling, thirst, and tiredness.