It appears that your browser does not support JavaScript

What Happens When a Wasp Stings You?

What Happens When a Wasp Stings You?

Localized Reaction

Ninety-seven percent of the people that are stung by bees and wasps each year experience a localized reaction.  Though the stings are usually red, painful, and will swell slightly, the reaction generally subsides within an hour or two.

Systematic Reaction

The remaining three percent of the population may experience a systematic reaction to a bee sting. Systematic reactions include other systems of the body not associated with the sting site.  These reactions can include nausea, dizziness, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramping, and atypical swelling.

Anaphylactic Reaction

Less than one percent of bee and wasp stings will result in a severe anaphylactic reaction.  In this case, the victim will experience hypersensitivity to the sting within the first ten minutes.  An anaphylactic reaction can cause wheezing, difficulty breathing, drop in blood pressure all which can lead to anaphylactic shock and possibly death if medical attention is not administered immediately.

No Previous Reaction Does not Rule of Hypersensitivity

Even if you have been stung before with no reaction, it is possible to become sensitized to the venom from previous stings.  The progressive hypersensitivity can cause a completely different reaction than experienced the first few times.


Copyright 2009-2016

Sophisticated Media LLC

Terms of Service l Privacy Policy

Contact Us